Pool Maintenance 101: When To Shock Your Swimming Pool

One of the many processes in effective pool maintenance is shocking your swimming pool. This is done to relieve your swimming pool of unnecessary organic compounds that cause algae and bacterial growth. It is an important process to ensure your swimming pool water remains crystal clear. If you are a new swimming pool owner and would like to know more about the process of shocking, you will find the information in this article helpful.

What do I use to shock my swimming pool?

According to Myrtle Beach pool maintenance experts, the process of swimming pool shocking is basically raising the chlorine level of the swimming pool. High chlorine levels in the swimming pool will kill the algae and bacteria growing in the pool. And for this, you will need to use either a chlorine or non-chlorine swimming pool chemicals. After raising the chlorine levels, you will have to give it time to work and then wait until the chlorine levels are reduced to the normal range before opening the swimming pool for use.

Chlorine chemicals for shocking your swimming pool work to raise the chlorine levels in the swimming pool to 10 ppm. Before allowing anyone to enter the swimming pool, you need to make sure that the chlorine levels have dropped down to the normal range which is 3 to 4 ppm. Test the pool water with a home testing kit, or bring a sample to Graves Pools, to ensure the levels have dropped.

Non-chlorine chemicals often include potassium monopersulfate, which works effectively in oxidizing contaminants. Unfortunately, this chemical does not kill bacteria and algae. But because it does not work to raise the chlorine level of the swimming pool, you do not have to wait for the chlorine levels to drop to the normal range. This is why this particular type of shocking chemical is used more frequently than chlorine chemicals, especially if you want to shock your swimming pool several times throughout the week.

Why do I need to shock my swimming pool?

You need to shock your swimming pool to remove the contaminants that are present in the swimming pool. These contaminants if not removed at once may serve as food for the growing and developing bacteria and algae in your swimming pool. These contaminants that you need to remove basically come from the people using the swimming pool. When they leave the pool, they also leave behind sweat, skin cells, lotion, saliva and urine. Add to these the leaves and dirt that get blown to the pool and you have a feast for the developing bacteria and algae in your swimming pool.

When should I shock my swimming pool?

If you use your swimming pool frequently, you will need to shock it at least once a week as part of your regular pool maintenance routine. This is to ensure that no bacteria and algae will develop in the swimming pool. In addition to this, you also need to shock your swimming pool before closing it for the winter season and after you have opened it for the summer.

You need to do this to make sure that your swimming pool is free of any bacteria or algae before you close it down for the winter. And even if your swimming pool is covered and no one has used it throughout the winter season, you still need to shock it as bacteria and algae may still develop in the water.

For more pool maintenance information and tips, call Graves Pools and Spas today.

Graves Pools and Spas
132 Leisure Ln
Myrtle Beach, SC 29588‎
(843) 903-7665
gravespoolsandspas.com